President Biography – Jan Ballman
Jan Ballman, RPR, CMRS, DSA
“I’m extremely proud of the fact that the most skilled and highly credentialed court reporters in this state have chosen to affiliate with Paradigm.”
Jan has always had a knack for business development and maintaining strong client relationships, which served her well when she decided to start her own firm with Jayne Seward and Lisa Richardson in the early ´90s. A court reporter since 1981, Jan believes that ethics and integrity should be woven into every aspect of business.
When those values were threatened in the 1990s with the emergence of insurance contracting with court reporters, Jan and her partners fought at the state legislature to ban the practice – and those efforts resulted in a state law that requires court reporters to disclose exclusive contracts made with any party in a case. To leverage their value-based position in the market, Jan and her partners merged with two other firms in 1998 to form Paradigm Reporting & Captioning Inc. and became the largest and most technologically advanced reporting agency in Minnesota.
Jan provides structure to Paradigm management since retiring her steno machine in 2002 and accepting the CEO position. With her consensus-building leadership, the firm has evolved into a national firm known for providing high-end court reporting, captioning, CART, videoconferencing, digital videography and web-streaming applications.
“We genuinely strive to be recognized as progressive and ethical leaders in our industry,” Jan says.
Whether Paradigm is reporting for high-profile litigation, connecting people all over the world via videoconferencing technology, or providing a blind and deaf university student with an instant Braille display in a lecture hall, Jan views Paradigm´s primary strength as exceptional customer service – developing solutions and seamlessly delivering them to clients.
In 2004, Jan was honored with the Distinguished Service Award by the Minnesota Association of Verbatim Reporters & Captioners. She has chaired numerous state and national committees within the court reporting industry since 1983 and continues to advocate for professionalism in her writing, mentoring and networking activities.
- Northern Technical School of Business, 1981 Court Reporting Graduate
- Registered Professional Reporter
- Certified Manager of Reporting Services
Professional and Civic Involvement
- National Court Reporters Foundation (Current Chair)
- Minnesota Association of Verbatim Reporters & Captioners
- National Court Reporters Association (NCRA)
- NCRA Constitution and Bylaws Committee (Past Member)
- NCRA Firm Owners Community of Interest (Past Chair)
- NCRA Freelance Community of Interest (Past Chair)
- NCRA Marketing Court Reporter Value Task Force
- NCRA Public Relations Committee (Past Co-Chair)
- NCRA Student Mentor
- TeamWomenMN (Board of Directors)
- Society for the Technological Advancement of Reporting
- Co-Chair, Minnesota Women Lawyers’ “Legal Wine Lovers” Committee
- Anoka Technical College (Advisory Board Member)
- St. Paul Police Foundation (Auction Chair)
- Convent of the Visitation High School (Past Fundraising Event Committee Chair)
- Nativity of Our Lord Catholic Church (Past Fundraising Event Committee Chair)
- Birthright of St. Paul (Past Director)
- Archdiocese of St. Paul (Past Fundraising Committee Member)